26.12.1767 The Clerk to advertise for contractors to dig the Hackney Cut (NA Rail 845/50
On 27.11.1779 "...it was ordered that the Locks in Hackney Marsh and at Old Ford be forthwith repaired..." (NA Rail 845/51)
On 12.1.1780 it was “Resolved that the following Locks be repaired with all convenient speed Viz. … Hackney Marsh Brick Cistern Lock And It Is Ordered that the Surveyor do repair the same as he shall find them absolutely necessary” (NA Rail 845/5).
6.3.1793 “Also at this meeting it is ordered that the Clerk of this Trust do write Dr Newcome of Hackney to prevent his Schoolboys drawing the Slackers of the Navigation for Bathing” (NA Rail 845/6)
20.11.1793 “And that new gates, Posts, Slacker Frames and Bridge be made to Hackney Cistern. (NA Rail 845/7)
14.10.1813 A lock house to be built at Hackney Brick Cistern (NA Rail 845/8). The plan below was prepared by James Griggs in 1844
LMA ACC 2423/P724 LMA ACC 2423/P/457
A minute of 21.3.1861 records (the chamber’s) imminent removal (NA Rail 845/15). Later that year the navigation was dredged back to Pond Lane and the brickwork of the chamber was finally removed in March 1864 (NA Rail 845/15).
16.3.1888 "That the old Homerton Lock house (called "Brick Lock Cottage") be let to John Palmer of 21 Glyn Road, Clapton Park, Clapton; Rent £18, and a piece of the River Bank £3, on a quarterly tenancy as from Ladyday 1888, in the place of Thomas William Kentisher, who has occupied the place for the past 30 years; (NA Rail 845/25)
15.4.1910 Jane Stannard, tenant of the Old Lock Cottage has died and her son has applied for the tenancy (NA Rail 845/37)
13.5.1910 Decision that the cottage be occupied by one of the Board's River Constables (NA Rail 845/25)
This led to the house being radically altered as shown in the plans below dated 1911.
All from LMA ACC 2423 P014
The lock house thus became a residence for Board employees until its demolition in 1946. (See note 18.1.1924 at Lea Bridge)
Hackney Brick Cistern or Homerton Lock
This site was last updated 16-Jun-2013